Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Environment

Really it was only a matter of time before this showed up here. I mean, the environment is one of the things that LOTS of people worry about. I defy death every day when I take my bike to work in this fair city in an effort to cut down on my own greenhouse emissions (and save money, of course, but that's another post!).

I don't know if climate change is real. I have heard compelling arguments for both sides of that debate although, it's not very sexy to be on the "wrong" side (of that debate) these days. But I do know that human-kind is definitely treating the earth like there will be lots to go around when our grandbabies have grandbabies, and I tend to agree with certain environmentalists who say that will NOT be the case.

And I worry about it:

Can I, just one person really make a difference?? I've cut down on my garbage. I recycle and I compost, but will that really change the amount of waste that ends up at the land fill?? If I ride my bike will I die?? Will it help if I get a basket?? Will bringing my own fabric bags really cut down on my plastic bag usage when the cashier insists on putting the chicken in a separate bag anyway?? If I ride my bike to the store, but forget my cloth bags have I helped in anyway?? Is my asthma getting worse because of the pollution?? Can one person really make a difference?? Can I use less paper products when I am going through a major renovation?? Can you actually reuse paper towel?? Will these cloths that say I don't need cleaning products actually clean my bathroom sufficiently to get rid of germs?? Does feeding my cat organic food really help the environment in any way or just make the cat spoiled rotten??

And that's just the tip of the ice berg....

And I guess, most of us won't live long enough to see if our environmental choices really have made a difference. How's that for ending on a positive note;)