Monday, July 20, 2009

Family Gatherings

This weekend was completely full of family. Relatives in from Ontario and Washington State from my husbands side of the family and a family reunion with my side of the family. Normally, I love meeting up with people that I haven't seen in a long time. There is always so much to talk about, to catch up on. However, the problem that existed this weekend was the sheer amount of family and the time required to make connections with each group.

Are these people feeling cheated because I am spending more time with cousin Jimmy?? Did I remember to hug Grandma?? Who is this woman that keeps staring at me?? Am I supposed to know her?? Why does this person assume that I know who they are?? The last time I saw you I was 8!

And the conversations that ensue:

"Come visit us! We would love to have you!"
"I remember when you were only this big!"
"You look just like your mom."
"You don't have any kids yet? How long have you been married?"

Navigating family time is tricky. In the end, I always go away feeling guilty because I haven't really talked to this person, or met up with that person. In the end, there is never enough time in a day/weekend/month to catch up with everyone at a reunion and say all that you wish you could say. You just have to do the best you can and hope that everyone understands.