Monday, June 29, 2009

Renovations

It all started because we wanted a different kitchen. The bathroom in the middle of the kitchen space did not lend itself to an efficient work space and we knew from the moment we moved in it would have to be changed. Now I am the sort of person that can easily make do with what I've got. And I honestly thought it wouldn't be that much of a disruption in my life.......(can you hear the hysterical laughter? that's me going crazy thinking back to the pivotal moment when we decided to go ahead and destroy the main floor of our house!) Because that is what happened!

Our house is about 100 years old, which we love! However, it has been reincarnated several times, as a single family dwelling, then as a duplex, then back to a single family dwelling (with lovely 70's accents). None of the renos were done well and as soon as we started our renovation I knew why. The disruption to our life has been vast and far-reaching.

And as soon as the demolition started, I began to worry. How will I ever clean up all of this dust? Will I be living in an constant state of "asthma attack"? How much will this all cost? Will we run out of money?? Will all of my clothes be covered in dust?? Will all of my food be covered in dust? How will I make my coffee/breakfast/lunch/supper without a kitchen?? Where will I read/watch TV/hang out?? Will all of the power tools start a fire and burn down the house before the reno is finished?? Will it suddenly snow in June?? Will the new windows let in enough light?? Will we run out of money and have to leave everything half done??? What about the back yard?? What are we supposed to do with all of the saw dust?? What about all of this garbage??? How long can this stack of garbage sit in the back yard before the neighbours call the city?? What if I step on a nail and die of tetanus??? Have I had a tetanus shot recently?? Should I get a flu shot?? How will the reno affect the cat?? Will we run out of money??

H. went to pick up electrical supplies this evening. Things are moving forward. At least for now.