Friday, June 26, 2009

Illness

We had a little issue with H1N1 at my place of work a few weeks ago. It was a little frightening when my boss came to me with disinfectant wipes and told me to wipe down my keyboard. Of course I did it......but in my head I was thinking "What's with the hysteria?". And then I began to worry.

What if I get H1N1 and don't even know it? What if I pass it on to my housemates and friends?? What if I die from this stupid flu only having lived these 27.8 years??? I decided that I did not need to worry about this, choosing instead to wash my hands about a thousand times a day and stay 30 feet away from anyone who looked sick, sneezed, or coughed:)

But then yesterday, I woke up feeling a little under the weather. My alarm went off, I opened my eyes and immediately I noticed that my throat felt weird...kind of sore and scratchy....Then before I even stepped out of bed, I sneezed a couple of hundred times, which really made me inclined to believe that I was sick:( Boo.

I hate being sick...I never really know whether I am sick enough to stay home from work. And the thought of planning for the sub that would come in for me, makes me feel worse. Here is glimpse of what goes on in my brain when contemplating taking a sick day: If I stay home will people think that I am faking it? Am I really sick enough to NOT do my job?? Who will come in for me and will the plan be sufficient??? If I go to work, will I contaminate my co-workers???? Will they be angry at me for coming in sick????? Will I get fired from my job for taking this fourth sick day of the year?????

In the end, I struggled through the day, survived and promptly went to bed when I got home at about 4:15 and didn't surface again until 6:45 this morning, feeling much better and not nearly so worried....maybe the blog is working already!!