Sunday, June 28, 2009

Rain

It rained all day yesterday. Normally, I love rainy days, but lately, I start to worry....You see, about a month and a half ago, we put a laundry sink in our basement and for some reason, now we have to be careful if we get a lot of rain, because the drain is funny and can cause the basement to flood....Does this make sense to anyone else?? I've been trying to wrap my brain around it for the past few weeks and I can't so if anyone can help me out here....I'm willing to listen.

Anyway, the first time our basement flooded, it came as a complete surprise. I woke up one morning, and headed to downstairs to make a cup of coffee. I turned on the light at the top of the stairs and looked down....."Strange," I thought to myself, "I don't remember the floor looking so shiny before?!" and when I got closer, I realized there was about 2 inches of water on the floor in the basement....yeah, nice, I know.

So now, as you can imagine, every time it rains, I begin to worry. What if the dry wall gets mouldy? Will we all get sick and die? Will the freezer keep working if it continues to get wet from the bottom? What about the fridge? Can I electrocute myself by stepping into the water? What if I can't find the plunger to plunge the floor drain? Why doesn't H. wake up so I don't have to deal with this myself? What if I hurt myself down here and no one notices and then I get electrocuted while trying to save myself?? Will the house start on fire?? Will the dehumidifier continue to work at turbo speed until the whole place is dry???

This flood only took H. and I about two hours to clean up...Luckily (?) we had a flood about a month ago so we knew how to clean up quickly. Trying to look on the bright side of life is one of the things I am good at:)